Saturday 29 September 2012

Day 24! How did that happen?

Half way point....

The chicks are half way through their life already. Wow - that happened quick. Some random things I have learned so far:
  • Chicken raising stinks, literally. The aroma wafting from the chicken barn is not pleasant.
  • Although I read there are lots of guidelines and "must do's" its really a personal experience and there are many combinations that will yield a successful flock.
  • Sawdust (bedding) needs to be bought in bulk. This is the expense that is going to affect our bottom line most significantly. We didn't factor in how much bedding was needed and the significant cost that it is.
  • I truly like doing this. Now that we are underway, it doesn't take too much time. Or should I say, it doesn't take more time than I expected it to take.
  • Lots of people are excited to buy the meat - I've got my dad doing sales on the job site, neighbors making room in their freezers, a niece who "wants a chicken too", and my friends asking when are they ready?. Looks like my worries of not having enough freezer space to store the meat in were in vain.

No, I don't typically wear a skirt in the barn. The photographer caught me a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment