Monday 10 September 2012

Day 5 and all is well....


We've a learned a lot in the first few days with this flock.....

The Donut Effect

Based on various sources we thought the best temperature to keep the barn at was around 90 / 95 degrees. But we noticed that when resting and gathering the chicks were huddling along the edge of the cardboard wall. This is called the donut effect when the chicks create a ring around the area directly under the brooder that is creating the heat. It suggests that the area is too warm and the chicks are congregating as far away from the source of heat as much as possible. We have dropped the temperature to 80 / 85 degrees and sure enough - the chicks are now resting and congregating through the entire area and no longer clinging to the walls.

Response to humans


On days 1 and 2 the chicks came toward us when we came in to the barn. Day 3 and forward they now scurry away from us. On their first day home they were climbing all over the kids. This won't happen again for 2 reasons - the chicks seemed to have an innate sense of fear of us and the saw dust is so covered in poo there is no way the kids are going over the cardboard wall ever again.

Where did that one go?













 

Quota and Permit

I finally was able to confirm that as a non-commerical farmer in BC I can raise up to 200 chickens per year for my own consumption. I can raise up to 2000 per year (with a permit from the BC Chicken Marketing Board www.bcchicken.ca) to sell to individuals. Without "quota" I can not sell any chicken to stores. So all of my plans are onside (as long as I apply for the permit).

The Smell

The odour that has started to engulf the barn is not so pleasant ~ as in foul (or should I say fowl ;-) This happened a lot sooner in the 7 week cycle than I expected / hoped.

Help

So again, through an odd divine string of relations, a commercial chicken farmer located in South Surrey was kind enough to call me and offer his comments on his decades worth of experience. This guy raises 40,000 chickens 6 times a year! He was a wealth of knowledge and asked me call him with any unanswered questions I might have. Sa-weet!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment