Thursday 13 September 2012

Are you kidding me?!


We are noticing how quickly the chicks are growing. White feathers are starting to show on their wing tips and we have raised the watering system a couple times since they are getting taller.

But 3 have now died. Typically a 3% loss is normal ~ but that's where I am at at Day 7 and I still have 42 days left to go - that does not allow for any more to croak ~ no more that can give up the ghost ~ no more to kick the bucket.

I did not realize I signed up for this......

But I have been noticing on a couple birds their poop is stuck to their butts. Ooh gross, suck it up princess, farming is not always glamorous!

This is known as "pasty behind" and can be fatal since the feces can leave the body and they get stopped up.  Solution: I need to bathe each of the chicks that have it and then blow dry the down on their butt.

Seriously!!!!!

This will be interesting.I am off to the barn to spa treatment some little chicks. I will then personally be bathing in bleach if you need me.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! This is way too cute!
    Wait for me.... I'm coming so I can get my free spa day at the Farm! Pedicures followed by blow drying my toes. THANK YOU!

    Xo
    T

    ReplyDelete