Tuesday 11 September 2012

A moment of silence please...

 

It happened...

Breaking news from my barn...... A little one bit the dust. No more pecking and chirping and peeping for this lil one. I am handling it quite well....... Let's all take a moment of silence. There will be a memorial service on our property this afternoon at 2pm for us all to remember what a leader this guy was within the flock and the legacy he will leave since he made such an impact on our lives while he was with us for 6 long days.

Just kidding...... I am handling this very well. I am not at all emotional. Seriously. I am actually sitting on www.allrecipes.com checking out fabulous grilled chicken recipes getting ready for all the chicken grilling we'll be doing in 6 weeks.

What I am not doing next time....

We had these small watering devices on hand so I put 3 of them in the barn. I did this for a couple reasons:
a) if the new chicks are not drinking their beaks need to be dipped in water so they are taught how to drink
b) I was nervous they would not figure out the Ziggity watering system and not get anything to drink in their first couple days here

First I sterilized them..... (they are upside down in this picture) and filled them with water.
(Sidebar: If you like the wallpapering job in my laundry room pictured here,I have 2 fabulous ladies that are happy help you... you just need to feed them martini's and sushi the night before you need wallpapering done.)

Then I placed them in the barn.


The chicks have proceeded to thank me for this additional H20 supply by kicking sawdust in the trough and then pooping on top of the soaking sawdust. This makes a horrid smell and its disgusting to clean them out. I won't be using these next time. Rather I will align the cardboard in such a way that more of the Ziggity line will be available to the chicks from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment