Sunday 26 August 2012

Who knew Valpolicella would be so helpful?

So today's progress was to be in the watering system arena..... a Ziggity poultry watering system ~ www.ziggity.com ~ is installed in my barn already. I need to clean and sterilize it (and figure out how it works - but that's total sidebar, eh?)

I know there is a bit of maintenance needed because some of the spiggits are dripping water. If the watering system leaks it can make the bedding wet. Wet bedding can lead to coccidiosis. This disease would wipe out my flock.
Leaky spiggit

So my plan was to run bleach water through the system in addition to wiping down the exterior with bleach. So I searched the main barn for reservoirs to start the bleach solution in and to expel the solution in to at the end of the line. My hubby is a home brewer of excellent wine and his primary fermenters are the perfect size! Problem solved.

Today's helpful gadgets - hand tools, bleach, and wine making primary fermenters

 I twisted, I turned, I tested... but for the life of me I could not figure out how to get the bleach flowing through the lines. I know its possible because some farmers supplement the water with nutrients or medication - but I couldn't figure it out. I was close to sucking on one end of the hose to get the bleach water flowing through - but I was not excited about sterilizing the inside of my own mouth.

So, I tidy up, stroll inside, pour myself of glass of red wine (Valpolicella this evening), and plop down on the couch with the laptop and begin to let google solve my problems. Again, wine has proved to be useful.


2 comments:

  1. Im thinking the plan to not sterilize your mouth but yet coat it in wine was the BEST IDEA YET!

    Xo
    tairalyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with T on this one!! Wine and Google are always the best ways to solve problems ;)

    ReplyDelete