Thursday 23 August 2012

Here goes nothing.....

I am about to cross off another item from my bucket list......

Karen helped me cross off "get a friend's car unstuck from the snow"


Cam has helped me cross off several:

Stay at the Plaza
Kiss on the Eiffel Tower
Hold my child for the first time
Learn to ride a motorbike


 
Jodi and Tairalyn helped me with:


Be a bride's maid

and there was the one and with my mom that was magical: "went wedding dress shopping".

So what is the the latest one? (the one that inspired me to try blogging....) is....

 "to farm"

Yes, this city slicker accountant is going to attempt to raise chicks. Amazing, but true!

These chickens will be fryers. Meaning, they are being raised to eat. As much as keeping chickens for eggs is much cozier and has a romance side to it.... it means that we are truly "tied" to this land and this hobby. We like to travel and do spontaneous day trips too much to have such an intense commitment. So for now, its fryers or broilers - approximately a seven week cycle.

A tad of background - we moved to South Langley a year and half ago and bought a property with an older farmhouse, a big barn, and a well equipped chicken barn. We embarked on massive renovations to the home and land and feel like we have a handle on those now.
Our renovated home

So we are now working on the barns. We are under going barn painting this summer. Massive undertaking, but barns are meant to be "barn red" in my books.

The chicken barn is well equipped. In theory I have all the hardware to successfully raise chickens; gas brooders, a beautiful watering system, feeders, and a load of rain barrels (these will be explained later as their function is not pretty). The former owners raised chickens and were kind enough to leave us all the supplies. However, I am greatly lacking in the knowledge side of things and the understanding side of things. However, with a bag of courage and determination I am giving it a whirl. (Hey its kinda in my blood, eh aunt Karen, I can't fail too terribly).

Check back to keep up with my daily progress.....

2 comments:

  1. How exciting!!! Looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing the adventures :o) Say hi to the family from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol, it is super exciting! I am loving learning something completely new.

    ReplyDelete